AAN needs a few good men and women to serve on the Board of Directors. If you have fresh ideas and lots of energy and are willing to devote time to help your association flourish, please consider running for one of the open seats on the AAN Board of Directors. The election will be held at the general meeting during the New Orleans Convention.
We encourage active members to consider running for the board, in particular people who have not done so before but would like to get more involved. If you’d like to start slowly, we also have committee positions available. The list of committees and current members is here.
The entire board meets in person approximately three times a year, and the executive committee, which consists of president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and immediate past-president meets an additional couple of times a year. Board members are reimbursed for up to $750 of travel and hotel expenses per meeting. (Board members also receive free registration to our annual convention). Each board position has different responsibilities, and we encourage those of you who are thinking about board service to give at least a quick read of AAN bylaws and a closer read of the section on the Board of Directors.
Here is a list of the board positions, that will have elections this summer, followed by names of the incumbents:
- President – Mark Zusman (Willamette Week)
- Vice President – Fran Zankowski (Colorado Springs Independent)
- Advertising – Blair Barna (Charleston City Paper)
- Electronic Publishing – Bill Jensen (Village Voice Media)
- Editorial – Vacant
- Free Speech – Tim Redmond (San Francisco Bay Guardian)
- At-Large – Carly Carioli (Boston Phoenix)
- At-Large – Amy Austin (Washington City Paper)
If you are interested in serving (or if you are an incumbent and plan to run for reelection), please send the AAN office a photo and an answer to these two questions:
1) Why do you want to be on the AAN board?
2) What are the most important issues AAN faces?
Deadline for providing the AAN office with this material is July 7th.
Questions? Give us a call at (202) 289-8484.