Last week, the Vermont Press Association announced the winners in its 2008 newspaper awards contest. Seven Days, the alt-weekly in Burlington, brought home seven awards, including first prize in the non-daily newspapers General Excellence category. This is the fourth straight time the Burlington-based alt-weekly has snagged a first place in that category; Seven Days won in 2004, 2005 and 2006 — the VPA didn’t give awards for 2007. “At this point, it would be sort of embarrassing if we didn’t win,” said Associate Publisher and Online Editor Cathy Resmer.
Seven Days also won the following awards:
- 1st place: Best Local Story, non-daily newspaper: Ken Picard
- 1st place: Best Feature Story, non-daily newspaper: Ken Picard
- 3rd place: Best Feature Story, non-daily newspaper: Pamela Polston
- 1st place: John D. Donoghue Arts Criticism Award, daily and non-daily newspapers: Elisabeth Crean, theater critic
- 2nd place: John D. Donoghue Arts Criticism Award, daily and non-daily newspapers: Dan Bolles, music editor
- 2nd place “Best Website” in the non-daily newspaper category.