Five student journalists have been selected to receive the Association of Alternative Newsmedia Next Generation Student Fund:
- Rachel Krause, University of Missouri
- Terrence McCoy, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
- J. David Mendez, Pima Community College
- Alina Mogilyanskaya, Harvard University
- Sallyann Price, Loyola University Chicago
The fund provides grants of up to $1,000 as well as free admission to the AAN Convention in Detroit.
The fund was launched by the AAN Board of Directors under the leadership of President Fran Zankowski to directly support the growth, education, and professional development of the next generation of journalists while connecting younger journalists with mentors.
The program was drafted by a working committee which included Jimmy Boegle (Tucson Weekly), Chuck Strouse (Miami New Times), Bradley Zeve (Monterey County Weekly), and Mark Zusman (Willamette Week).
During the convention, grantees will be invited to meet with long-time AAN members/leaders.
Recipients of the Next Generation Professional Fund will be named tomorrow.