The Los Angeles Press Club held its annual SoCal Journalism Awards last night and four AAN papers went home with honors:
- L.A. Weekly received thirteen awards overall, three of them for first place (Gendy Alimurung for business story, Darrick Rainey for design, and the entire staff for best website).
- OC Weekly picked up five total awards, with Gustavo Arellano (columnist), Kelly Lewis (designer), and Vickie Chang (personality profile) grabbing first place honors.
- Pasadena Weekly‘s Kevin Uhrich (entertainment column), Joe Piasecki (consumer journalism), and Chip Jacobs (personality profile) each took home first place awards. The paper received four awards on the night.
- Steve Greenberg snagged first place in the editorial cartoonist category for his work appearing in Ventura County Reporter.
- Last but not least, AAN’s favorite Advice Goddess Amy Alkon took home five awards, receiving first place for the best headline, “When Hairy Palms Met Sally.”